Monday, November 21, 2005

my ringing ears

So I tested positive for malaria this week. Which I actually regarded to be good news, because it confirmed that I was indeed sick. (Sometimes it's nice to have scientific confirmation that you're not just being a wus.)

So I figure, no problem, I'll just knock back a few days of a nice, modern malaria treatment. That should take care of it.

Just my luck, it turns out I have a drug-resistant strain of malaria. So now I'm on quinine, a 17th century medication made from peruvian tree bark (and an ingredient in "tonic" water, by the way).

Stuff makes my ears ring and my head spin. Best I can tell, it's worse than malaria, but they promise me the side-effects are temporary.

But anyway, there's isn't supposed to be any quinine resistant malaria in Africa. Should be back on my feet after 5 more days...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home