Wednesday, March 08, 2006

coke

Coke is everywhere. How do they do it?

Now that I've spent some time in a developing country, I have some idea of how difficult it is to get things done. And I can not imagine trying to distribute a product to store in every tiny village, in a country with few paved roads, where cars cost 3X what they should, and where finding staff with corporate experience is nearly impossible.

But they do it, and somehow make money at 25 cents a bottle. It's hard to find a store in Rwanda that doesn't sell Coke. Not only that, but they go back and pick up the trash -- Coke is distributed in bottles which Coke picks up and refills.

Amazing.

I had a Rwandan ask me once if there was Coke in the United States -- it's so ubiquitous he assumed it was a national product. Me, I'm just happy I can get a guaranteed water-borne-parasite-free taste of home anywhere in the world.

1 Comments:

At 7:08 PM, Blogger Christina said...

Just bought coke stock yesterday. Thanks for the reassurance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home