Wednesday, May 24, 2006

three in one

This past week I was hit with a trinity of illnesses. Feeling ill last Monday, I went in for a standard blood test and the doc found that, yes folks, I had malaria for the fourth time this year. Also, the complete blood count (CBC) showed my lymphocytes at 61% (rather than the normal 25% or so) – clear sign of a viral infection.

I’ve learned oh-so-much about lab tests out here.

So I start throwing down the anti-malarials, like usual. Start feeling better. Until Thursday, when of course I’m up all night running for the toilet.

So Friday, Corrie (who also had malaria last week, but was in slightly better shape than me so found herself in a care-giving role) dragged me to the doctor and translated for me. Blood tests came out normal; malaria and virus gone. So I’m on to Cipro for the likely bacterial infection in my gut.

Today I’m finally back on my feet. For those counting, that’s the 3rd time Corrie’s had malaria and the 4th time for me. Quite a week!

2 Comments:

At 10:55 AM, Blogger Christina said...

Glad you're back on your feet and in the virtual world. I send you e-wishes for good health.

 
At 5:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are all glad you are ok

 

Post a Comment

<< Home